Upholstered Bed with wood frame (same night stands and dressers)
Designers have several tricks for updating a home when the furniture is too traditional. Perhaps the style you loved years ago isn’t necessarily your preferred style today? That doesn’t mean an entire re-do is required! You can change the feeling of a room without replacing all your furniture.
Sometimes new fabrics, lamps, art, or just one new piece of furniture will update your style to the level you desire. See the changes below, it’s encouraging to know that if your taste has changed, you might be pleasantly surprised with the impact you can achieve from one or two pieces – especially the ones that demand a lot of attention! Laura bedroom – before below.
1) In this room we updated one piece of furniture! A master bedroom can be a haven you love, with just a few simple updates!
The duvet, shams, and bench were all covered in busy prints, which were not the soothing look the homeowner desired. The headboard was ornate,
which did not fit their style.
2) Know that contemporary art is amazing in a traditional setting. See below – this client has tumbled marble stair treads, and very wood & iron onal stair railing. The mix of traditional art lends a fresh clean fun approach to replace the serious traditional art.
Abstract art in a traditional home
3) Know that new fabrics can change the entire look and feel or a piece. Recovering furniture is often a fast and easy solution.
4) Rugs – a traditional rug can date a room even more than the furniture. If you prefer a lighter less formal look, know that a rug will make a huge impact.
A new rug can make a huge impact to update a room!
We replaced the loveseat with a pair of chairs, and updated the rug.
This accomplished what the homeowner desired
without the need to replace the sofa (on opposite wall).
5) Add bold color – or perhaps tone on tone soothing colors are more your style? Whatever the case, when you replace busy traditional prints with more subtle fabrics it changes the entire personality of a room for less money than any other upgrade!