How to choose the best fabric? Should I choose a solid or a print fabric? Often people choose print fabrics because they want to add color or interest. In small doses prints can be beautiful! However, there are other ways to bring in colors and pattern, such as:
1) A patterned rug – see before & after below
2) Prints on colorful pillows
3) Art and pottery
4) Trees & house plants
6) An OUTDOOR view, keep from blocking beautiful views when possible!
7) Colorful Art, see the abstract art below
We love color and pattern! Especially in easy to change areas such as a throw, or throw pillows, or through art. Those can easily be changed or moved to another room. See the additional rooms of this home on our other sites, we incorporated bright colorful art in the entry and dining room. We painted the bedroom a fabulous green and made custom bedding that was colorful. We added bright beautiful pottery in the kitchen. There are so many ways to add color besides in a busy print fabric.
Pros for a print fabric on a chair or sofa:
1) It can be a statement piece
2) It can give a room personality
Pros for a solid fabric on a sofa
1) It makes it easier to update the rug and pillows
2) It makes it easier to add art
3) It can be soothing and less “busy”
4) It is less likely that you’ll grow tired of it.
To make choosing fabrics easier, we spread out fabrics on site in Greensboro, NC. Imagine, yards of fabric spread out across a sofa, which makes choosing a fabric versus a print so much EASIER!!
Notice he texture of the beautiful sheer linen on the window treatments. Even solid fabrics are beautiful, when they have a nice texture!
After, we recovered the chairs Before fabric was a bold print
A neutral linen sofa does not detract from the stone fireplace. BEFORE right >