6 Ideas to update a kitchen on a budget!
If you think there’s no alternative to a full kitchen remodel, think again! There are easy solutions to update a kitchen on a budget. A complete remodel can be time consuming, costly, and a big inconvenience. Here are 6 tips for updating your kitchen on a budget.
- Add Glass Doors! If your upper kitchen cabinets doors are all wooden, this can look boring (or too dark in the case of wood cabinets). Talk to a carpenter about inserting glass behind a few of the doors. The kitchen below is much more interesting due to the addition of glass in the doors. You could do this on the corner cabinet only, or the one above the stove (if it is centered). This is a quick way to update a kitchen, with major impact.
|Updating the kitchen cabinets by adding
glass inserts in the doors creates
a huge impact on a low budget
2) Unique Hardware! Get creative with kitchen hardware. Instead of replacing all the knobs with new knobs, create variety. Some of the knobs could be changed to long handles, while others remain the same. Below is a photo of a Kernersville NC Kitchen. We recommended that the homeowner create variety by mixing in handles with knobs.
|A hardware upgrade makes a big
impact on a low budget!
3) Add crown molding! A deep crown molding at the top of the cabinets can really update the look. See above photo. You can have your paint color matched by taking a door to the paint store, be sure to consider the sheen as well.
4) Replace one area with a contrast color. Example, the kitchen island and/or the hood above the stove could be painted a contrast color, such as a dover white, taupe, or a camel color. See photo with caramel stove hood at bottom.
|Notice how the pendant light, bar stools, update to cabinet doors (grass cloth)
and new hardware transform this kitchen.
5) Move kitchen cabinets! That, or changing the placement can create a big impact on a small budget. See photo at bottom.
6) Replace the fluorescent lights!! This makes a huge impact. Pendant lights and recessed lights make a nice impact. There is no more important way to update a kitchen if you have fluorescent lights.
Greensboro, NC kitchen remodel
|In this High Point, NC Kitchen, we moved the microwave
from above the stove to an unused desk area so we could
add a pretty tile back splash and a custom hood for the stove.
We added pendant lights, all this for major impact on a low budget.
See before & after photos of this room on the web site.
To update your kitchen, know that with a little imagination, there are alternatives to a complete kitchen remodel, which is great to know when you’re on a budget.