It’s easier than you’d think to give your home a fresh updated look, one that is less rustic or country.
If you find yourself drawn to light modern interior, here are a few quick fix ways to transform a dark country style. Best of all, they don’t require remodeling or major expenses.
1) Update a light fixture and/or abstract art.
Next to the dark rustic beams in the photo below, you wouldn’t normally think to put a contemporary white ceiling fan. But the mix of styles is a fresh unique look! It changes the entire mood of the the room!
And check out the abstract contemporary art over the mantle! It’s an unexpected twist next to the dark stained woodwork.
2) Paint the wood work white! See BEFORE and AFTER below.
If you like, you can go crazy with white. The trim, the windows, the walls, all in white! A room like the one below would feel rustic if the window and door trim was stained brown. It gets a more contemporary feeling with white paint.
3) Add a contemporary furniture piece or contemporary art!
- Notice the concrete contemporary cocktail table?
- And the contemporary abstract art over the mantle?
- These make the room look more modern, even with rustic wood beams.
To see additional room photos with colorful art or modern with traditional, see this blog:
To update a rustic home, feel free to mix and match and include your favorite contemporary items. It’s amazing how combining styles allows you to achieve the look you love!