- Upgrade lamps – make sure the scale is large enough for your big room, & switch to today’s linen shades, (no bell shaped lamp shades)
- Switch to solid fabrics on large pieces, with punches of color in art & pillows. If you’re recovering, now is the time to make the change.
- When possible, remove the skirt and have exposed wood legs.
- If your busy print rug is worn, consider a sisal (which are very low in price) or a tone on tone rug that is not a busy print
- Last but not least – Artwork – if you update to cheerful large transitional art (to replace your very serious formal art) the entire mood of your home will change! People tell us they’re can’t get over the transformation.
In summary, consider organic solids like linen and cotton, to replace formal fabrics. When possible, update art to a couple of large soothing landcapes or abstracts. In 5 easy steps your home will feel more contemporary, to bring in the new look that is not so traditional.