1) First and foremost is the fabric DURABLE? For pets, children, spills....you don't want to spend $700 ($350 on fabric and $350 or more on labor) to recover it! Polyester is durable, Rayon is soft but it's not durable.
2) Is your main sofa fabric timeless? Will it go with lots of options for pillows & window treatments? You'll own this sofa for the next 12 to 15 years (if it's a good quality). If the furniture store doesn't have a fabric you like, know that you can do COM (customer's own material).
We recommended the solid chenille (far background) for the main sofa,
with the front fabrics coordinates for pillows and a cocktail ottoman.
3) Did you get a to scale room layout showing how large the furniture will look in your room? Remember, the furniture store showroom is misleading!! It's probably a 15' tall black ceilings with NO walls, it will look MUCH larger in your home.
4) Do you have a rug to consider? A favorite art piece? Wall colors? It's important to make sure your house flows from room to room. Notice how much better the AFTER fabrics look than the BEFORE (Against the client's art which will be hanging directly behind the sofa).
|Select sofa & pillow fabrics based on all the criteria|
6) Ask - what is the furniture store's return policy? How large is the restocking fee? What is their policy if you are quoted "6 weeks" but after 16 to 18 weeks it's still not in your home?
When selecting a sofa and chairs make sure you consider the above 6 criteria. You'll own it for many years so it's important that you love it.