|Fresh spring colors make this home feel more light filled.|
If your house feels dark, there are ways to make it lighter and brighter without installing larger windows! Just in time for spring - here are eight cost effective interior design tips to have better lighting & make rooms feel brighter:
1) Install can lights. See photo below of a kitchen ceiling. Upgrading a florescent light to individual recessed lights is not as time consuming as I thought it would be. Get a quote, you might be pleasantly surprised!
|Replacing one florescent light with individual can lights will insure the|
entire room has sufficient lighting.
|Add lights inside cabinets|
3) Replace heavy window treatments. Either hang the drapes on the OUTSIDE of the window (so you don't block day light) OR replace heavy fabrics with light sheers.
|This room feels "light filled" through the use of color and light fabrics.|
4) Upgrade one exterior door, chose the part of your house that needs light the most. See below:
|Add light by adding a door with a glass insert.|
5) Add under cabinet counter lighting.
|Add under cabinet lighting to brighten your room with better lighting|
6) Add spring and summer colors through accessories & fabrics! They are cheerful!If the fabric is ultra suede, a micro fiber or a 100% polyester fabric it will be durable.
|This room feels light filled because of all the bright white!|
7) Paint woodwork BRIGHT WHITE. It's a major change, because it can be hard to find a stopping point. But notice in the photo below how light filled the room feels!
|Bright white, along with lighting through a chandelier plus two lamps creates ample light in this foyer.|
A lighter and brighter house can make your mood feel brighter. Have fun with these tips and please send us your comments & ideas. We love hearing from you!