For More Interior Design Photos: ^ Click Above ^ - Hundreds of Before & After photos
Wednesday, February 9, 2011
How to hire a good Interior designer, consider these tips before you search through designer web sites.
An interior designer's web site can give you a real sense of their expertise. Here are some tips to consider:
1) Does their web site and blog show a few pretty rooms (from the client with a big budget)? Or does it show what they can accomplish when existing items are difficult?
2) Are they willing to provide a list as referrals? Do they have excellent recommendations on Houzz.com, Google, Facebook, etc.
3) Are they new? They should have years of experience & exposure to a lot of different spaces and styles. Experience is what prepares them to walk into a home (with existing or dated items) and be able to define what needs to change for the most impact for your budget. 4) For remodeling projects and new construction qualifications and experience are CRUCIAL. They can save you thousands and be your best advocate with the builder, the subcontractors, and the suppliers......or they can leave you with a mess that you wish you could change.
5) Are they willing to accommodate your taste & your lifestyle? Their web site will be a good indication. If you see a variety of interior design styles, it's a good indication that they aren't going to impose one particular style.
6) Is there a complimentary initial consultation? This is a good time to find out if they're a good fit for you. Questions like " How do you intend to use this room?" or " What items do you love? reflect that they won't insist on throwing everything out or start over again.
Before hiring an interior designer, know that it's somewhat like hiring a hair dresser, a mechanic, or a repair man, I say this in the sense that there are good ones, and there are very bad ones. It's your home, you should feel like you're in good hands with the right designer. Their web site & blog will speak volumes, use it as a guide to learn more about them.