1) Before shopping, search magazines or the Internet for photographs to develop a feel for what style and colors you like.
2) Get assistance from a professional interior designer. They can pass on their contractor discount! People often think they're limited to stores like Home Depot or Lowes, but specialty tile stores offer a huge variety of tiles that are not available in those stores.
3) Your designer can meet you at the tile store to show you which brands make the look you want for for less money. They’re not on commission, so they’ll have your best interest in mind.
4) The main tile should be a reasonably priced one. Insert expensive tiles where they will create the most impact, such as under the stove top, or a mini bar.
5) Consider texture, size, shape, and texture, notice in the photos below how tiles with different sheens and textures were added.
|Greensboro, NC Kitchen Tile backsplash|
In this Greensboro, NC home, we created a tile back splash with the expensive tiles in the center only, where they make the most impact. The remainder of the framed in area is composed of five different tiles, in various shapes, sizes, and colors.
To see more photos with free design tips (by email twice a month), sign up today.
Receive interior designer tips on room layouts, color selections, furniture shopping, window treatment photos, room makeovers, budgets, and more! Click here: